Chapter 1 – Farmers: understanding the costs of hosting a visit
What resources do I have to offer?
It is important to identify what resources you may require in order to start hosting educational visits. Once you’ve created a list of required resources, start to look at what you already have in place and what you will need to develop. This will help you as part of your costing exercise. Some of the things you may consider are listed below:
- Do you have a classroom facility or covered area for use during wet weather or for lunches?
- Who will host the visits? Will it be yourself or will you employ educational staff?
- Do you have toilets on site? If so, how many? Large school groups will require more toilets.
- Do you have hand washing facilities on site? If so, how many? Large school groups will require more hand wash basins.
- Can you walk around the farm easily and safely or do you need to improve access, gates, fencing and even consider a trailer for transporting visitors?