Lesson 1 – Organization of the education for pupils with special educational needs

In general, pupils with special educational needs learn together with other pupils either in mainstream schools/nursery schools, integration schools/nursery schools (where all classes/groups are integration classes/groups) or in integration classes in mainstream schools/nursery schools (where classes are either integration or mainstream classes).

Special schools (including residential schools), special education and care centers (with boarding facilities and extended rehabilitation programs) and special sections in mainstream schools are established for pupils who have a written statement recommending special education and whose parents have decided in favor of attendance of this type of school/section.

Depending on the special educational needs and type of disability, pupils with disabilities attend special nursery schools, special primary schools, special lower secondary schools, basic vocational schools and schools preparing for employment, or special general and technical upper-secondary schools.     

A school with integration classes has to employ additional “supporting” teachers qualified in special education. “Supporting” teachers work also individually with disabled pupils, teaching them various educational techniques, e.g. the Braille alphabet or sign language.